Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Boiling Down

Finally, what I thought was the maple water started to run! I collected a full gallon from four taps and promptly brought it in to boil down. I was surprised that it didn’t taste in the least bit sweet and disappointed that it smelled like wet moss. Could the heavy rain have run down the trunk and into the small opening to the jug? I was anxious to get a flame under it and see what might happen. Meanwhile, I went outside to help prepare the ground for our first-ever chicken coop (that’s another story to come). About 15 minutes later I came in to check on the process. Is that the scent of maple syrup in the air or is it just wishful smelling? Grabbing a spoon and with careful assessment, I brought the brown liquid to my lips.  I felt as though my taste buds where playing tricks on me, but yes, it was , it really was maple syrup! (more like water still at this point but I wasn't about to complain) You see it wasn’t yet distilled enough to become syrupy. It takes 6 gallons of maple water to produce a pint of maple syrup. So, we will freeze this cup of liquid and add to it as we collect more from the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment